CONGRESSMAN JOE MORELLE ANNOUNCES EXPANDED CHILD TAX CREDIT TO BENEFIT 86% OF MONROE COUNTY CHILDREN
(Washington, DC) – Today, Congressman Joe Morelle released local details of the enhanced and expanded Child Tax Credit, which will have a substantial impact on Monroe County families. The measure was passed as part of the American Rescue Plan, which Rep. Morelle helped pass into law.
“I’ve always fought to support the needs of working families, which is why I was so proud to help enact the expanded and improved Child Tax Credit,” said Rep. Joe Morelle. “This historic investment will have a profound impact on our community, helping to uplift families and reduce poverty. I hope this helps families feel more secure and better prepared to deal with the financial hardships brought on by the pandemic—and going forward, I’ll continue advocating to make this expanded tax credit permanent.”
Benefits to the 25th Congressional District, by the numbers:
- 86.3% of children in our district will gain from expanded and improved Child Tax Credit — 133,000 children.
- The average benefit for 42,700 households is $2,900.
- The expanded and improved Child Tax Credit lifts 8,200 children in our district out of poverty.
- Because of the larger benefit for the youngest, 3,000 kids under the age of six are raised out of poverty.
- Families with children in poverty will receive $4,900 on average.
- This measure is estimated to raise 2,800 children out of deep poverty locally.
The enhanced Child Tax Credit was part of the American Rescue Plan, a comprehensive package that prioritizes the needs of everyday families by providing more direct payments, bolstering unemployment benefits, expanding the child tax credit, and ramping up vaccine distribution.