CONGRESSMAN JOE MORELLE ANNOUNCES ADVANCE CHILD TAX CREDIT PAYMENTS WILL BEGIN TODAY
(Rochester, NY) – Today, Congressman Joe Morelle announced that eligible families will now begin receiving advance Child Tax Credit payments with an average benefit of nearly $3,000.
“The expanded Child Tax Credit will help set America’s children up for success and put more money in the pockets of hardworking parents sooner,” said Rep. Morelle. “These payments can be used to pay for necessities like daycare services, groceries, or gas for the car so parents can go to work and help fuel our economy while building better lives for their families. Parents have been through so much over the last year, and I’m glad these payments will help ease the burden and give them the peace of mind they deserve.”
The measure was part of the American Rescue Plan, which Rep. Morelle helped pass into law. Families will qualify for a full credit if their income is below $75,000 for single filers, $112,000 for people filing as head of household, or $150,000 for people who are married and filing jointly
Qualifying families can get up to:
- $300 a month per child for children ages 0 to 5.
- $250 a month per child for children ages 6 to 17.
Benefits to the 25th Congressional District, by the numbers:
- 86.3% of children in our district will gain from expanded and improved Child Tax Credit — 133,000 children.
- The average benefit for 42,700 households is $2,900.
- The expanded and improved Child Tax Credit lifts 8,200 children in our district out of poverty.
- Because of the larger benefit for the youngest, 3,000 kids under the age of six are raised out of poverty.
- Families with children in poverty will receive $4,900 on average.
- This measure is estimated to raise 2,800 children out of deep poverty locally.
“This historic investment will have a profound impact on our community, helping to uplift families and reduce poverty,” said Congressman Morelle. “I hope this helps families feel more secure and better prepared to deal with the financial hardships brought on by the pandemic—and going forward, I’ll continue advocating to make this expanded tax credit permanent.”
For More Information, visit: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021